Re: Darlingtonia soil change

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 10:38:36 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:38:36 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Darlingtonia soil change

L235 wrote:

> Since someone brought up timing of changing the growing medium for
> Darlingtonia californica, I was wondering what people USE for growing medium
> for the species ... (besides, I love the incredibly helpful "survey" threads
> when someone asks for "recipies" for various species:"
>
> Can everyone chime in with how they grow (successfully or otherwise) D.
> californica?
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)

Hi Jay,

I use a 1:1 peat(milled) & horticultural grade perlite mix..sometimes in
a 2:1 ratio if I can't get my hands on perlite in large quantities. I've
always put a layer of gravel or large rocks at the bottom of the
container for drainage, but it's not really necessary. My plants are
grown in the greenhouse & subjected to extremely high temperatures at
times during our summers, so I try to flush them with cool rain water
that I've kept in the shade as often as possible. This is what works for
me. Take care...

Best Wishes,

Doug

Douglas Burdic