Sarracenia seed collecting

From: nora_murdock@smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 18:24:57 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 May 98 18:24:57 -0700
From: nora_murdock@smtp2.irm.r9.fws.gov
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia seed collecting

     I would like to wholeheartedly second the concerns expressed by Marj
     Boyer of the NC Plant Conservation Program regarding indiscriminate
     collection of federally-listed Sarracenias.

     These plants and all their parts are federally protected under the
     Endangered Species Act, and the penalties for illegal collection can
     be severe.

     Permit applications for conservation-oriented research should be
     submitted to our Atlanta office for species that occur in the
     Southeastern U.S., such as the endangered subspecies of Sarracenia
     rubra, and S. oreophila. Contact David Dell (404-679-7313) of that
     office for further information on permit requirements.

     Also, as Marj stated, any proposals to do such collecting should be
     fully coordinated with those who have spent decades working with
     landowners and carrying out long-term research and management. The
     confidence of many of these private landowners has been gained only
     through years of patient negotiations. One ill-informed collector at
     the wrong site could set back or even eliminate all the conservation
     progress made to date.

     Nora Murdock
     U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
     Asheville, North Carolina