Tuberous Drosera outdoors

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Tue May 19 1998 - 22:10:14 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 01:10:14 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tuberous Drosera outdoors

Jay Lechtman wrote:

Anyone's experience with full-
sunlight/outdoor culture for these or other tuberous species would be
appreciated! (Public replies best ... give everyone the benefit of your
experience).

Jay and others,

I've grown my D. peltatas and D. auriculatas outdoors on my backyard patio
since the beginning of April. Formerly they were inside my greenhouse and
before that indoors under lights in a tank. They receive 3-5 hours of direct
sun during the middle of the day here in Ohio where temperatures hover in
the low 80's and nighttime lows around 55-60f. They are still producing new
growth at a fast pace and some are flowering. I'm not quite sure when they
will go dormant, this is the first season for me growing tuberous drosera
and most of the potted tubers emerged last November.

As far as I can tell they seem quite happy, catching loads of small insects
(every leaf is covered!) and colouring up with hints of gold, yellow, and
red.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com