White Nepenthes leaves

From: Ted Dewitt (tdewitt@pioneer.net)
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 08:53:16 PDT

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:53:16 -0700
From: Ted Dewitt <tdewitt@pioneer.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: White Nepenthes leaves

Hi everyone,

Several leaves on my N. alata 'spotted' plant have turned very pale,
whitish-tan-green. These leaves are also soft, lacking the typical
stiffness of a indoor-grown Nep. (which I know is softer than
outdoor-grown Neps). Does anyone know what might be the cause? Other
leaves appear normal. The plant is several years old & has 4' long
stems. It receives moderate light levels & is treated as a houseplant
(ie, less than opt. humidity and light, which means it doesn't pitcher
as frequently as it did when in the greenhouse). It's been under this
growing condition since last fall. The "only" thing unusual that I've
done was to place 2 Tillandsia (sp?) in the pot (collected by a friend
in Florida from his yard). I've never seen a plant (let alone
Nepenthes) have leaves turn white before. Does anyone know if this
likely to be a nutritional problem or a disease, and does anyone have
suggestions for a remedy?

Ted DeWitt
Seal Rock, OR