Re: Nepenthes Newbie

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sat May 23 1998 - 17:07:17 PDT

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 18:07:17 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Newbie

Jim Roth" <jim_roth@smtp.grafica.com> writes:
>1) I want to grow Nepenthes Gracilis in a bottle garden (typical glass
>water-cooler bottle) using sphagnum for a growing medium. Will this
>work? I heard they grow slow and stay small.

N. gracilis "stays small" in that the pitchers and leaves tend to stay
relatively small but if it is happy, the plant will grow like a weed. It
is very "viney" and mine probably grows about 6 inches per month. I
suspect it may curl itself around and around in a bottle garden.

>2) I want to grow N. Mirabilis in a hanging basket on my deck (in New
>Jersey, hot and humid) and bring it inside at the end of August. Is this
>stupid idea? I have a self-watering plastic hanging basket to use.

In my experience, N. mirabilis is one of the more forgiving Nepenthes so
it might do OK. Be carefull that it doesn't get scorched outside though.

>3) Last month's Vivarium Magazine (vol.9 No.3) had a beautiful shot of
>stand of Nepenthes in the Seychelles. All they said was it was endemic.
Is
>there only one species there? What is it?

I haven't seen the article but N. pervillei seems most likely.

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/