Re: Keeping varmints at bay

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Mon May 25 1998 - 04:54:22 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 06:54:22 -0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Keeping varmints at bay

>Trent and others afflicted,
>
>I have the same problems, the only difference being moles and chipmunks. I
>grow all my Sarracenias and temperate sundews outside my greenhouse. These
>nocturnal denizens seem to be hitting the same pots night after night. Large
>pots of D. filiformis and S. excellens sustain large holes in the
>peat/sphagnum, leaving roots exposed every morning. I've tried wire netting,
>natural chemical deterrents (dried bobcat piss), and other things short of
>nuclear warfare. They keep coming back!
>

>Any helpful suggestions from fellow CP'ers?
>

>Mark Pogany

Try sprinkling a little sulphur powder (wettable or chips) on the soil
surface of your pots, Mark, maybe around them too. Be careful not to get
any on the sundews' leaves; a little won't kill them, but they don't like
it. Even cats are dissuaded from digging in my garden in freshly turned
earth when sulphur is present.

This isn't the best solution because of the smell and sulphur does lower
soil Ph over time if used excessively (not a bad thing for CPs,
short-term). It may keep the critters away until they can find better
sources of food or areas away from your green house to root around.

On the up side it helps prevent mold and fungus attacks and is a pretty
good bug-off. Last year, my beautiful cut-throat S. flava had holes being
chewed in the pitchers (from the outside). I gave it a dusting after
misting it with water and there were no more new holes. Keep it out of the
pitchers: I covered the hood and lips of mine with kleenex. Aside from a
few really annoyed spiders, the pitchers are still trapping and no harm
done. The spiders, or their offspring, are still there.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick