Re: Windows95 application to handle CP (or other) collections

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 25 1998 - 12:22:02 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 20:22:02 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Windows95 application to handle CP (or other) collections

Hi Paul,

The software offer sounds excellent. Like probably many others I've been
toying around with putting something together, my choice of platform
being MS Access. I'm going to have to be brief (hurrah) as I leave for a
two week holiday tommorow ans I have tons to sort out (still not
packed). I'm going nowhere near anything CP-wise unless you count the
Pyreness being close at about 250 miles. I'm also not going anywhere
near any reptiles - my other passion - so it will be a real break for
me. I wonder how I'll last.

Okay. First my requirements.

I need at least a database to keep record of my collection, prefereably
with the facility to record details. I suspect the database would need
to be a relational one - hence my original choice of MS Access. The
details I need to record, apart from the obvious ones of the plant names
are growth details (when repotted, where obtained etc). I would also
require a unique serial number for each plant. Either alphanumeric or
straight numeric - I'm not bothered. I'd like the software to produce
the number though.

I regularly produce price lists based on spares obtained from my
collection. Becuase I am essentially lazy I would rather produce the
price list by selecting the plants from my main catalogue via a drop
down list. I would then type in the price required. I would also like
the software to record how many plants of each type I have for sale.

When orders are recieved I need to enter order details. The item ordered
is then subtracted from the sale plant record and when the stock levels
reach zero it will be removed from the list altogether.

I'd also like the facility to save a picture of the plant in its
individual record.

>From a sales point of view it would be useful to keep a record of
previous customers together with plants they have bought.

What else! I guess the ability to sort plant details according to any of
the fields would be useful as well as a simple search engine. Also any
sales list generated should be automatically saved. As a Win 95 user the
facility to use long file names should be utilised.

Also with an eye to a future web site the ability to convert and save in
html format would be very useful.

Can't think of anything else unless you can write software to repot and
water the plants for me. :-)

As far as free software is concerned I live in the real world so I'm
happy to pay for what I get, as long as it does a good job. I would be
more than happy to offer support to push sales of the product via the UK
CPS. I'd also be happy to act as a tester for you. What are my
qualifications? Well I've got a pretty large collection so that should
give it a pretty thorough testing. I'm also pretty experienced in
computer useage. I'm not a software designer but I know my way round a
PC. I'm also internet linked so any software upgrades are easy to
deliver to me. Can't think of much else.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson