Re: Cepalotus Growth Patterns...

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 21:40:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 27 May 98 00:40 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cepalotus Growth Patterns...

Dear Richard,

> plant... You see I have never noticed (even after daily observations) a new
> leave per-say 'budding' but rather wake the next day to find it ready to do
> it's job... It's really odd and I'm sure I'm missing something but today I
> came home from work to find another leaf already emerged and green as can
> be!... Just wondering if this plant does this or rather since it's small yet
> I'm just missing the action!?!

   Cephalotus is an odd-ball plant, seperated from other plants in
it's own family--no other close relatives. I guess you will find lots
of unique things about such plants. On my larger plants, I do see the
new leaves (and that includes the pitchers, BTW) developing, but they
grow very quickly once noticed.

> and now shut... Are these bloomer's short lived or is just waiting in the
> wing as to say... The flower's look to be very attractive and I'm looking
> forward to seed from these two plants but have failed to find a time and
> open bloom to self these little guys... any comments would be eagerly
> welcomed!..

   Most Drosera flowers are only open for a couple hours at most. Often
they will not open if it is cloudy. If the light is too dim indoors
some can have trouble forming pollen. North American Drosera tend to
open the flowers earlier, in the late morning or early afternoon and will
shut by the time kids are home from school.

Good luck,
Dave Evans