Re: Cranberries (Off Topic?)

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu May 28 1998 - 16:54:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 28 May 98 19:54 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cranberries (Off Topic?)

Dear Nigel,

> Love the sauce, want to grow the bush.
>

> >From the descriptions I have read, cranberries seem to grow in places
> >which
> ought also to be suitable for CPs. Does anyone know whether they grow
> in association? Eg, do you get cranberries and Darlingtonias or
> cranberries and Sarracenias growing in the same bogs?

   Yes.

   You sure can grow them in the same conditions as Sarracenia, perhaps
a bit wetter even. The problem with this, though, is that while an
individual cranberry stem is quite small, they spread quickly and form
thick mats of several inches making cultivation of Sarracenia difficult
at best. Every now and then a cranberry pops up in one of my bogs, but
even after several feet of growth, they aren't ready to set seed.

Dave Evans