RE: Virus

From: Richard T. Berg (bergrd@valunet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 18:10:46 PDT

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 18:10:46 -0700
From: "Richard T. Berg" <bergrd@valunet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Virus

 This so-called virus is a HOAX!!!

  It has been around the net for the past 8 years now and it's the same
hoax, just different name... This actual 'WIN A HOLIDAY' hoax virus was
passed around my local area not more than 4 months ago and I even went on
the local news to explain it... You cannot get a virus from merely reading
or opening email... NOW.. If that email has a file attached such as a
runable program (*.BAT, *.COM, *.EXE) then you may open yourself up to a
virus... Most virus' are binaried and must be carried to and from by a
program that you can run... Scan the runable program or do not run it at
all... Please understand that I'm not lashing out at anyone but for the past
8 years I've seen about 1,000+ of these types of posts, emails, chats and
it's just getting annoying!.. Learn your world and you shall understand...