RE: P.grandiflora f. chionopetra.

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 11:44:05 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:44:05 EDT
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: P.grandiflora f. chionopetra.

Not having read this paper, I will step well out of line and state -

Oh no, not another named form based on flower colour.

The Pinguicula moranensis complex gave us tens of "new" species, forms,
varieties, etc. etc. which Casper studiously and rigorously reduced to a
single species, P. moranensis. Since his excellent monograph the world has
ignored his wisdom and once again added to the list of "new" moranensis forms
by adding those of a different colour, location, religion, etc. Casper
performed the same check on other species and reduced them, especially where
colour was a significant factor in naming a subspecies, variety or form. Now
it seems we are to be confused by the same practice for white flowered
Pinguicula. I predict P.grandiflora f. chionopetra will not survive a
revision, unless of course we hear from Jan that it is not accepted and a
revision of this "form" already exists. (In fact, I'm even tempted to find
time to test the validity of this myself - if only I could battle with the
latin!!!).

I must get the paper!

Regards

Paul