Fire eksperiment

From: Jure Slatner (jure.slatner@guest.arnes.si)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 01:58:52 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:58:52 +0200
From: Jure Slatner <jure.slatner@guest.arnes.si>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fire eksperiment

Hi all,
Like everyone I try to grow my plants best I can. I read in books some CPs
grow better, flower more and earlier, look healthier etc after their habitat
caught fire. So I made an experiment last year with VFTs, Droseras and
Sarracenias (some 50 plants) growing together in large pots. To prevent from
higher temperature I didn't fire them really but I took a lot of dry grass
and Sphagnum moss, burned it and covered moss with ash (1 - 5 mm = ~ 0.1
inch). After two days I started watering. There was a lot of rain and ash
soon disappeared. After three weeks or so all my plants but one - you won't
believe - died. There were no survivals, even Sphagnum moss putrefied soon.
After two months I had only black stinking almost liquid mass of something
I've thrown away.
Don't do the same, grow your CPs some other way.
Jure