Fires

From: Benjamin F. Lasseter (benjamin@twister.tamu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 11 1998 - 11:59:15 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:59:15 -0500
From: "Benjamin F. Lasseter" <benjamin@twister.tamu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fires

>FWIW, I had always believed that
>the benefits of fire in the wild had more to do with removing competing
>growth and shading than it did with releasing elements into the soil.
>
>Tom in Fl.

True enough, Tom. For a number of conifers, however, their seeds must
actually go through the inferno before they can sprout. The cone gets
scorched and afterwards can release the seeds, but not before. Does anyone
know of any succulents that require flaming before they can reproduce?

My condolences, Jure. Thank you for sharing that information with us. I
won't try to use ash with my plants.

Sincerely,
        Benjamin F. Lasseter

P.S. Can anyone recommend to me a species of Nepenthes that will (1)
survive through the broiling hot summers of southeast Texas and (2) has a
reasonable degree of resistance to pollution?
        - BFL