Othello - too much and too little colour blindness!

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 11 1998 - 13:49:55 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:49:55 EDT
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Othello - too much and too little colour blindness!

To no-one in particular

>that Barry Meyers-Rice has chosen to name his anthocyanin-lacking
>Darlingtonia discovery as a cultivar; Darlingtonia 'Othello' (though I am
>perplexed by the choice of name, since Othello was not white :-)

Ignoring any reason Barry publishes or has published for his name "Othello", I
will choose the following interpretation because, as can be detected in my
previous mail (comments to some taxonomists), I'm in a feisty mood!

Michael - Othello was (and still is) always white!!!

In the UK and the USA, there is a very quaint practice. In drama, Film, TV
and Theatre based, white people can generally (are allowed to and paid to)
play the part of a black person. It is a fact that almost every single actor
who has played Othello in any film, TV or Theatre easily accessible to a
national or international audience (not just local) was white. Those people
who fund the productions support this. However, when a black person wants to
play a white part, with the exception of a few rich black comedians who fund
their own films, these black people are refused the part reputedly because "it
would be difficult to believe in the character".

Therefore, "Othello" could be, and I hope it is, a subtle dig at all those
racist actors, producers and directors who maintain the status quo whereby
whites can play blacks but blacks can not play whites (despite the ability to
use make-up in both cases). " Othello", a showey plant named after a black
person but actually all white, as usual!

No "off subject" mails please. I know already!!! And anyway, I'm discussing
a carnivorous plant name!!!

Chau

Paul
(In a decent world a program like "Friends" wouldn't be made)