Sphagnum hosts mould

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 13 1998 - 06:42:13 PDT

Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 09:42:13 EDT
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sphagnum hosts mould

In case anyone newish to CP's began to think that spagnum is a "clean" or
mould free material, think again.

> I'd also like to say that I have never seen fungus growing on any
> surface of live sphagnum. Yes, it has been considered that spagnum works
> well as a mild "supressent" of fungus. I, however, am more interested in
> it's ability to create a realatively sterile or fungus-free
> aptmosphere/environment. >>

If you put live sphagnum into the freezer overwinter and then take it out and
allow it to restart growth without treating it against fungus, the whole thing
gets rapidly covered in a mould bloom which kills anything else in the
sphagnum but only kills the top few millimetres of sphagnum itself. In fact
this is an excellent way to destroy rare plants that normally grow up near the
arctic circle in sphagnum bogs and need to be kept very cold all winter! Now
how did I find that out?!!!

Regards

Paul