Deformed VFTs and NCCPS

From: Capestany (dr.cap@erols.com)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 00:09:38 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:09:38 -0700
From: "Capestany" <dr.cap@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Deformed VFTs and NCCPS

After a week of cloudy skies and windy weather, we had a flash flood in this
part of Virginia with hail and pounding rain. The creek which runs through
my property swelled into something much like a white water river. Well,
anyways, this Spring I built a really nice bog and rigged it up to receive
water from one of the natural springs... peat/sand mixture with live
sphagnum on top, Sarrs, Droseras, and half a dozen VFTs (some "red dragon").
Of course it flooded over and half the pitchers were toppled and all the
growth, if any, was green and spindly/wavy. The most depressing thing was
that my VFTs had lost their color and had deformed traps, stunted leaves, no
teeth, etc...
I am wondering if this could be because of the weather or if they have some
kind of infestation? I am a Nepenthes person and it is my first try with
these plants so I would appreciate any help.

As for the National Capital Carnivorous Plant Society meeting, I'd have
nothing to trade or sell since I grow my plants in terrariums, but I am very
interested in expanding my lowland Nep collection, particularly with N.
bicalcarata, N. ampullaria, N. albo-marginata var. rubra, N. truncata, N.
veitchii lowland form, etc... I just bought a new terrarium and would like
to fill it up with the best. Thanks!

Paul Capestany
Alexandria, Virginia
USA