_Nepenthes gracilis_ coloration

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 01:41:56 PDT

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:41:56 -0400
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: _Nepenthes gracilis_ coloration

Hello,
        Richard Ellis from Boulder Colo. wrote about _Nepenthes gracilis_
coloration variation.
        My _N. gracilis_ has what sounds to be very similar color as yours
(possibly the same clone as I come from Boulder CO myself). The upper
pitchers are green outside with reddish purple spotting inside. The
basal pitchers on older plants often emerge some what like _N.
ampullaria_, without stems and are a very beautiful reddish brown, I
prefer them to the upper pitchers. When they begin forming leaves and
stems the coloration always returns to the more common green outside.
        If yours is the same clone it is staminate.
        Just my observation.
Steve Stewart