Re: S. x excellens question

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 06:29:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:29:47 EDT
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. x excellens question

Mark Pogany writes:

> I have two large pots containing a couple big clumps of S. excellens. I
> originally received these last winter during their dormant period.
>
> The plants have long since put out flowers that are presently working on
> seed pod development. My problem is the pitchers. All I am getting right
now
> out of my plants are a ton of phyllodia-like leaves, tall and spindly with
> white mottled tube openings.
>
> Does this hybrid put out crops of well-formed pitchers throughout the
> growing season or wait for late summer? Should I be changing anything as
far
> as cultural requirements? The large pots are in my front yard , planted in
> 50/50 peat-sand, and receive 5-7 hours of direct sunlight.'

My S. x excellens (a horticultural cross originally created by Bob Hanrahan
(thanks, Bob, indirectly <smile>), puts out well-formed pitchers from its
first in the spring. However, I would assume that if your particular cross had
a higher degree of S. leucophylla expression, you could very well get the more
typical Spring form pitchers of that species. You sound as if you may be more
a victim of genetics than cultivation.

At the same time, however, some S. leucophylla specimens in my collection have
beautiful Spring pitchers, while others are thin and weak until early Fall. If
you're so inclined, I'd find an extremely short and stocky early-pitchering
form of S. leucophylla and cross it with one of the large S. minors from the
Okeefenokee .... should be a beautiful plant.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Ashburn, Virginia, USA