Red x Dentate experiment

From: Edward Read (ay080@lafn.org)
Date: Fri Jul 03 1998 - 03:01:03 PDT

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 03:01:03 -0700
From: "Edward Read" <ay080@lafn.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Red x Dentate experiment

Hello All,
        I have received some inquiries about my Red x Dentate experiment mentioned
on my homepage and so I've scanned some pictures for all to see.
        What I set out to do was cross my dentate (from the wild that Leo Song has
grown for many years) with a red (obtained from a friend who got it through
European source). I pollinated the dentate (which is green) with pollen
from
the red vft. I previously castrated the dentate to make sure that it did
not self. The f1 was of course all green. My friend Ivan selected the best
growers and selfed them. The f2 resulted in a mixture of red to green, and
dentate to normal trap bars.
        From the f2 we have a large variety of plants displaying various
interesting things, so we gave our favorite clones names. There are two
plants in particular that we are very happy about. One we call "Ivan's
best," and another we call "bristle tooth."
"Ivan's best" has proven to be an amazing plant as far as we are
concerned. This years flower stalk gave us a nice display. I have uploaded
pictures of "Ivan's best" on my web page for you to see. There are no links
to them on my page so you'll have to click on the addresses given here.
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/9848/ My homepage.
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/9848/zipper1.jpg This is a shot of the
entire plant of "Ivan's best."
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/9848/zipper2.jpg This is a closer look
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/9848/zipper3.jpg This is yet a closer
look where the margin characteristics can be seen. On this plant the trap
bars will vary from perfect triangular to mixed, but the triangular seem to
be
the most common.
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/9848/rxd01.jpg A shot of the flower
stalk. I think you'll like these!