Timing concerns about the Florida Fires

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 03 1998 - 09:48:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:48:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Timing concerns about the Florida Fires

As Derek and other have pointed out, when fires have been suppressed for
too long, a "hot" fire can cause a lot of damage. The management tool that
folks use in stewarding natural areas is more of a "cool" burn, that is a
result of less fuel load on the ground (dead stuff).

The reason that fires are beneficial is they remove dead growth (that
blocks light), induce seed germination for some species, and often
decrease woody species so plants that grow in open areas (like CP) can
thrive.

Fire is also a good management tool when it is used to reduce invasions
by non-native species that are not fire adapted.

But this brings up another point. Fires should be timed properly. Fires at
the wrong time of the year can damage native plants. I am a little
concerned that the Florida fires seem to be right at a time that
Sarracenia species have not yet set seed, nor have their pitchers stopped
vigorously catching insects. Sarracenia will probably not be hurt too
much, because they are perennials, but I don't know about other Florida
wetland plants.

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter