To Trim or Not to Trim

From: carlstrom_rick@advmar.com
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 05:41:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 08:41:00 -0400
From: carlstrom_rick@advmar.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: To Trim or Not to Trim

     I have about 25 Sarracenias that are just recovering from a serious
     slug
and aphid attack. Right now they are putting up good pitchers (although
small). I wonder what I shoud do with the leftover aphid deformed
pitchers and those that have fallen over due to slug munching. Should
they be trimmed off? Should I let them just sit there and look ugly?
Does trimming older (insect free) pitchers promote new pitcher growth or
harm the plant because of reduced photosynthesis?

     The specific species I am concerned with are S. flava, S alata, S. minor
and S. leuco.