Re:Sarr. dormancy necessary

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 19:50:34 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:50:34 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Sarr. dormancy necessary

----------
Carl Mazur said about Sarracenia dormancy,

> However, I find that plants that have
>been exposed to good cold temps perform better. They are more vigorous and
>more robust.

This certainly supports my experience. Frankly, I've not had the greatest
success with Sarracenia until this year, after subjecting my plants to
distilled water ice cubes in January and February.
In fact, this was a last ditch effort, and I was ready to give up on North
American Pitcher plants. Right now, they are growing some beautiful
pitchers, and my interests are renewed.

Anybody else have similar experiences? My artificially induced "cool
dormancy period" ran about 8 weeks, with mother nature contributing cold
fronts from December to the end of March. My ice cubing was done
sporadically through January and Feb.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida