P. mundii question

From: Laurent Legendre (laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 04:19:44 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:19:44 +0100
From: Laurent Legendre <laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: P. mundii question

Hi Loyd, Jan, J=FCrg...and other Ping fans,

Concerning the question of Loyd on P. mundii stolons all I can say is that,
in cultivation, I've never seen (5 year experience) this species push away
its gemmae in the winter with stolons. This holds true for large plants
which produce 5 to 6 flowers in the spring and 20 to 30 gemmae. I have no
field observation though.
If I remember well, the authors who published P. mundii talked about the
possibility of this species being an hybrid which would have stabilised
with time. This hypothesis was only supported by the chromosome count but
one of the possible parent was said to be P. vallisneriifolia which does
form stolons. Maybe that could support the stolon story. What do you
think about about this idea of Ping species being in fact stabilized
hybrids? Could that be a more general phenomenom among european Pings
which would explain the large variability we see and the difficulty we have
to find clear-cut differences between species?

Laurent Legendre