S oreo pitchering again

From: John Green (hpjgreen@ihc.com)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 07:33:16 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:33:16 -0600
From: John Green <hpjgreen@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: S oreo pitchering again

This morning when I watered my outside potted plants, I saw a truly
gruesome sight! An earwig had been caught by a VFT, it's head sticking
out of the end of a trap which had already sealed, antenae waving
helplessly. Definitely not for the squeemish or faint of heart!

I have a question about my S oreo's. They flowered and pitchered early
in the season, and then produced tons of phylodia (I probably let them
get a bit dry). Some are potted and some are growing in my first
attempt at an outdoor bog. I've noticed recently, however, that most of
them are beginning to produce pitchers again. I was under the
impression that once they started producing phylodia, they were done
till next spring. Is this common? and will it weaken the rhizomes or
affect flowering for next year? Could high temperatures be causing this
(daily highs 98 to 102 f)?

John Green
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. Congratulations to Bob Hanrahan who became a grandpa earlier this
month when his granddaughter was born. And thanks for stopping by to
look at my plants and visit. :-)