RE: CP in Tennessee?

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 06:50:01 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:50:01 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: CP in Tennessee?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 1998 8:38 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list

One more try ... does anyone know of any existing stands of CP in Tennessee
(between Clinton and Gatlinburg or possibly even into Asheville, NC)? I am
here on a conference trip and would truly enjoy the opportunity to see any
of these wonders in the wild (this is my first trip to this area).

You can email me at kenc@salinas.net, if you wish. Thanks!!
Ken Cusson

Well, it has been years since I was up in that area, -- even tho I am still
a big fan of UT football! - Anyway, the pickings are somewhat slim. D
rotundifolia is supposed to be found in some remnant bogs in the Smokey
Mountains, although when I lived there there were no trails open for the
casual hiker. This may have changed now, ask the rangers in the park. If
you go over into NC south of Ashville toward Little Switzerland you get
into S rubra jonesii territory. Again, the area has changed so much since
I was there I can't offer you specifics.

And speaking of slim chances, in middle Tenn. there are historic locations
of D. brevifolia.

Tom in Fl.