Re: Late Pitchering S. oreophila

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 08:14:19 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:14:19 EDT
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Late Pitchering S. oreophila

In a message dated 7/22/98 8:57:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cp@opus.hpl.hp.com writes:

<< I have a question about my S oreo's. They flowered and pitchered early in
the season, and then produced tons of phylodia (I probably let them get a bit
dry). Some are potted and some are growing in my first attempt at an outdoor
bog. I've noticed recently, however, that most of them are beginning to
produce pitchers again. I was under the impression that once they started
producing phylodia, they were done till next spring. Is this common? >>

I germinated my first batch of S. oreophila seed in 1994 (I believe Andrew
Marshall was the source) and now have many adult plants. I have noticed in my
plants that as long as they are kept wet they will continue to pitcher
througout the summer. They are incredibly vigorous plants. I grow all of my
plants outdoors (Northwestern Oregon) and I've experimented with a south
window sill with one plant. To my surprise, the oreo didn't completly die
down during the winter. It produced plenty of the sickle shaped phyllodia,
but always had a green pitcher or two.

These have truly become one of my favorite Sarracenia along with S. rubra
jonesii. I was lucky enough to get the two of them in bloom at the same time
and cross pollinated them. Out of curiosity, does anyone on the listserve
already have adult specimens of this hybrid? I'd love to see one.

Jeff Dallas
Portland, OR