Strange Oreos

From: Mark T. Bachelor (bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 22:20:42 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:20:42 +1000
From: "Mark T. Bachelor" <bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Strange Oreos

Greetings all,

Oreophilas that produce new pitchers when they are watered again is nothing
unusual.
I have a plant that always sends up one or two pitchers (per eye) in winter,
right about the time it flowers. Our society has simply tagged it as a
winter flowering Oreo as it has done so consistantly for everyone who has a
piece of it. Sometimes it will also flower at the normal time, but the
winter flowers (which never set seed) are more reliable. Its usual period
of growth seems to be early spring to early summer and then again in autumn
to early winter when the flowers open. During late summer it is just a mass
of phylodia and drying pitchers while in winter it dies off to just above
the rhizome leaving just a few tattered phylodia and a couple of off season
pitchers.
It is a much shorter plant that other oreos in our collections, but it grows
well.

Regards

Mark T Bachelor
Biology Technican
Melbourne Girls Grammar School Voice: +61 (03) 9866 1676
South Yarra, Victoria, Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
Australia 3141

National Science Week, STAV Family Day Co-ordinator