RE: S oreo making new pitchers

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 07:03:50 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:03:50 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: S oreo making new pitchers

> I have a question about my S oreo's. They flowered and pitchered
early in the season, and
> then produced tons of phylodia (I probably let them get a bit dry).
Some are potted and some
> are growing in my first attempt at an outdoor bog. I've noticed
recently, however, that most
> of them are beginning to produce pitchers again. I was under the
impression that once they
> started producing phylodia, they were done till next spring. Is this
common? and will it
> weaken the rhizomes or affect flowering for next

It is my understanding that in hot weather (typically mid summer) that
some Sarracenia switch to growing phylodia instead of pitchers and then
resume pitchering in the fall. In fact I think S. leuco puts out its
best pitchers in the fall. My S. flava is still putting out pitchers,
but they have extremely pronounced "wings" on the front (I forget, is
this called the "ala"?) and almost insignificant pitcher openings and
are thus pretty close to phylodia. This has come at a time of daily
highs of 95 degreees and above (Farenheit, of course) and little rain. I
live in Durham, NC within the historic range of S. flava.

Hope this helps,
Philip
URL du Jour: http://www.mammoth.com/mammoth/bands/snz/