Re: Nepenthes-- temperature and N mad.

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 21:03:12 PDT

Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 00:03:12 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes-- temperature and N mad.

----------
>I have several semi-highland Neps that need lower temperatures
>at night than we have here in GA. Any suggestions on how to bring the
>temperature down or make it bearable for them since it typically stays
>in the 70s?

Evaporative cooling and air circulation at night will help tremendously.
Even if you can drop the temp by 8-10 degrees, you will notice a difference.
If your humidity is very high, above 70 percent, a gentle air movement
creates a slow evaporation that cools the plants, especially leaf
temperature. A fan that pulls air is better than a fan that pushes (blows)
air on the Nepenthes, and a night -time misting with cool water, putting
"dew drops" on the leaves, increases the effectiveness. Combined with the
gentle, humid air movement, the plants should be dry by morning. My air
movement is just enough to keep the hanging pitchers lightly bouncing, but
not the whole leaf of the plant Since I've started doing this at night
during summer evenings, I've noted marked improvement in N. maxima,
veitchii, sanguinea, and hybrids N. mastersiana, Rokko, Tiveyii, and others
with highland backgrounds.

If you have the budget and the space, air conditioning/ refrigeration is the
ultimate.

I would like to hear what other Nepenthes growers living in hot humid
climates do to cool their higher altitude plants.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida