re: yeast and CO2

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 05:11:18 PDT

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:11:18 -0500
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: yeast and CO2

Jason Ashley wrote:
>I accidentally burned the leaves of this and my other other two neps
>rather badly when I used a yeast culture to add carbon dioxide to the
>terrarium and the yeast fermented and turned into alcohol. The alcohol >siphoned through the tubing from the culture into the terrarium and
>puddled into the bottom of the tank.

Hi Jason,
It sounds as though you had the outlet tube too close to the surface of
the culture. If you use a container that is only 1/3 full with the
yeast/sugar solution and keep the end of the outlet tubing 4 or 5 inches
above the surface of the solution, siphoning shouldn't be a problem.
You could also add a second, empty bottle in-line to act as a trap if
there is excessive foaming (although mixes of just sugar, water, and
yeast usually don't foam much at all).

I've never tried CO2 enrichment for a CP terrarium, but I used the yeast
fermentation method for several years with a planted aquarium and had no
trouble at all. That said, I'd be surprised if CO2 enrichment were
necessary for CP. Unless the terrarium is sealed tight with no
ventilation, CO2 probably won't be the limiting factor it can be in a
heavily planted aquarium.

cheers,
       Nick
Nicholas Plummer