Re: Photoperiods and the Dark Cycle.

From: Steve Gordon (gordon@rapid.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 10:56:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:56:34 +0100
From: "Steve Gordon" <gordon@rapid.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Photoperiods and the Dark Cycle.

Dear Trevor,

I have been growing CPs under various combinations of discharge lamps (total
replacement lighting) for a number of years now and have found, over time,
with day lengths in excess of 14 hours that some plants exhibit this
photoinhibition that you mention. At least, I think you are referring to a
problem I have! I would describe it as a foreshortening or rosetting affect
which gets worse over time irrespective of light level.

As you obviously know what you are talking about, I was wondering if you can
tell me if you think it is a phytochrome (R/FR ) reaction which, as far as I
am aware, is affected by day length, or more accurately night length?

I have been looking for someone who knows enough about the subject, and is
interested enough in CP's to discuss it, for a while now. Sorry if this
puts you on the spot, so to speak.

Regards,

Steve uk.