Nepenthes photoperiods and oddities

From: Capestany (dr.cap@erols.com)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 17:19:11 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 17:19:11 -0700
From: "Capestany" <dr.cap@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes photoperiods and oddities

With all the talk about CP photoperiods, I thought I'd tell you all that of
all my Nepenthes filled terrariums, the one which isn't doing very well is
the one with the timer. All my other Neps get 24 hours of light per day
(though not very powerful) and are doing great. I only leave the timer on as
a sort of experiment, though I think it will soon have to stop, with only 14
hours of light a day those Neps are looking sad.

Now, about some oddities I've been observing on my Neps for a while now. My
N. petiolata seems to have glands on its leaves, and sometimes they even
produce sundew-like droplets. My N. tobaica has a sort of "extra wings" or
upside-down V starting from the middle front of the pitcher down to meet the
wings near the tendril, and the lips of the pitcher are absolutely
overflowing with their nectar. I have checked and cross-checked all my
plants with pictures from the web and my little Nepenthes book library, but
these and a few other Neps are out-of-the-ordinary and I would like to know
if anyone else has seen the same things. Thanks.

Paul Capestany
Alexandria, Virginia
USA