Re: Sarracenia containers

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 07:21:37 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:21:37 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia containers

Hi Tom,
 Long time no hear. Hopefully all is well with you and your CP
collection...anyways, most of my Sarr plants are potted in one gallon
pots to 4 gallon pots. I don't sit the pots in water, but directly on
the ground in full hot sun. I've done this for years without any
trouble. I do admit to watering them twice a day. I find this gives me
better results then allowing them to sit in water. Standing water
usually turns into an algae swamp or sours the soil to much. I would
not advise doing this with pots less then one gallon, but I've gone up
to two days without watering my plants without any harm what so ever. I
also top dress my pots with mulched up pine straw or pine mulch. This
helps to hold the moisture in.
 The fiberglass tables I spoke of, sit on sawhorses and the tables are
 mostly
used to house VFTs, Sarr seedlings and a few odds and ends. I use them
inside the greenhouse and out, but them again, if anyone would know
where to get some nice trays, you would. BTW, does these tray come with
a hot pizza??.
                               Charles Brewer
                                Va. Beach, Va.
_____________ If you must have metal, then this won't help, but if you
just need rust-resistant then go to your local Domino Pizza Chain.....
Ask to see one of the plastic trays that their frozen dough gets shipped
to them via semi. They stack when not in use, are very thick/heavy and
I have had some for at least 5 years without cracking. They should be
about $8-$10 each and are pretty close to the dimensions you seek. I
got sick of buying those el-cheapo trays that get holes after one
season. Hope this helps. I bet the they start selling these trays like
crazy and will have no idea why. :)

Take care & keep on growing,

Thomas K. Hayes

DANGEROUS PLANTS