plant registration

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 10:44:12 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: plant registration

Hi Jan

> The ISHS Commission on Nomenclature & Registration has recently
> accepted the application by the ICPS to become the IRA for cultivated
> carnivorous plants. Given the formal ratification of our appointment
> at ISHS Council, we will henceforth be entitled to register all names
> of cultivated carnivorous plants (cp cultivars, cultivar groups, and
> chimaeras) published world wide.
        With this in mind, I assume you or some one with ICPS will send
out a memo detailing the protocal for registering a plant name? Something
published in CPN I think would be best, but also up here and maybe on the
FAQ for those that do not recieve CPN. I hope it will be written in
simple terms.

> The most important consequence of this for cp growers will be the
> necessity to register their cultivar names with us before these names
> are established. Authors and growers are strongly encouraged to use
        As it happens I have at least three names I would like to
register. The plants are all at least 3-4 years old and getting quite
large now. I can sacrifice one of each for a holotype, yes I want to
register the entire seedling lot in Latin. I can also photograph the
plants. Where do I send the holotype? What do I actually do with it to
prepare it? In other words, step by step, I have plants that need thier
names registered, what do I do please?
        Thanks
        Andrew