Re:aldrovanda

From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 05:45:07 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:45:07 +0200
From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:aldrovanda

>Hi everyone,

>Sunday, I went to explore more the bog near of my home.
>After seeking a lot more, walk 5 min in forest, I found a "lake" of 1'
>deep, very small "lake", perhaps 10' by 6' . So when I discovered it, I
>looked for some cp, others than S.purpurea. I just found something who's
>like Aldrovanda in this "lake", no alguae or others aquatics plants. Can
it
>possible that was some Aldrovanda? Because I live in Canada, in the
>province of quebec, and I don't think that these plant grow here... Help
me
>to resolve this mystery.
>Thanx all

>Tom

Hi Tom,

Indeed, Aldrovanda is not reported from Canada. Though this species is
easily recognisable, it is often confused with other aquatic plants. It's
rootless, floats just below the water surface and is averagely 6-11 cm long
with a shoot diamter of 1-2 cm. The leaves are arranged in whorls and end
in a *single* trap (VFT type, but much smaller) and some bristles. I hope
this information will allow you to resolve the mystery. Good luck !
Regards,

Christian Breckpot