Re: Gel Soil

From: Joe Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Sun Aug 23 1998 - 07:28:27 PDT

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:28:27 -0400
From: Joe Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Gel Soil

Dear Skippy,
Gel Soil or Terrasorb can be used to grow bladderworts, but you would need to
have an opaque sleeve that your growing container would slide down into. If
left exposed to light, green alge will form and you will have a green slimmy
mess. However, this gel is terrific for transplanting all bareroot
Sarracenia species. I usually add a little fungicide, a very weak solution
of Petters 20-20-20(1\8 teaspoon per gallon of water), and a few drops of
Superthrive to my water then add the Terrasorb. I use the mixture as a dip,
by inserting the rhizomes into the solution then placing them (the plants)in
the soil. The gel will stick to the roots and rhizomes.
Joe Cumbee