Re:More ampullaria

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 18:00:42 PDT

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:00:42 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:More ampullaria

Hello Andrew. Trent here in Florida,

> I just noticed a leaf tendril unfurling,
>showing another hairy tendril. Does this mean that is has already began
>to grow?

Not necessarily. It is probably still growing from its original environment.
The NEXT leaf to emerge from the growing tip will tell. Ampullarias tend to
put out curled hairy tendrils as a normal part of growth. Once established,
you get the pitchers. The next set of leaves will most likely be
significantly smaller than what is growing now. I guarantee the plant will
go through transplant shock.

>HOW BIG DO N. ampullaria pitchers get?

Typically, about 3 to 3 and a half inches max. Two inches is more common. It
depends on how established the plant is to growing conditions. In natural
habitats they can get even larger. Check out Andreas Wistuba's pictures of
the ampullarias in Irian Jaya at his website. Huge pitchers! Those plants
are probably hundreds of years old, and have been subjected to the exact
same conditions steadily all that time.

Good growing.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida