Ping leaf buds

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 01:03:19 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 04:03:19 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ping leaf buds

I was reading the interesting discussion concerning aberrant leaf budding
behavior in a Mexican ping. As most of you know this occurs at the drop of a
hat with P. primuliflora. In fact I have a 14" plastic bowl full of them,
the parent plants from last year spreading their progeny to the farthest
reaches of the container.

Just what influences this behavior in this species? Why is it that, say, P.
planifolia or P. lutea don't follow suit in such a prolific way as their
close-by cousin P. primuliflora? This has always puzzled me, given that in
some habitat locations these plants grow in the same conditions!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com