Re: SS Project Update

From: Robert L Hanrahan (k4zd@juno.com)
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 03:51:39 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:51:39 +0000
From: k4zd@juno.com (Robert L Hanrahan)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: SS Project Update

Hello John in Southport and Y'all,

Will quickly clarify a few points that was brought up with
my recent "SS Project" post.

As far as poaching goes, this years experience was the
first massive haul that I have have had on the property
in 15 years. So, it's not that prevalent, but is something
to be watched. When you have hundreds of thousands
of mature Sarracenia plants, you don't notice a snitch
here or there. Only when large areas are cleared.

Regarding species selection for the SS hybrid, it takes
decades to make all the crosses. We (Leo Song) and
I quickly decided to use available common forms for
SS-1. BTW (They are all documented). Future breeders
(a.k.a. CP experimenters) who are not born yet may
expand the concept into other forms, hence SS-2, SS-3
etc. It is mentally rewarding, not financially driven.
Let's not do all the forms now. We need to leave some-
thing for the future hobbyists to do. Actually, I'm far more
concerned about Sarracenia species survival in the wild.
That's where our true efforts should be placed. SS stuff
is just for fun!

Destruction of unwanted genetic S. oreophila plants. I
did not realize that plants recognized regional borders
in the 80's. I was attempting to grow so many S. oreo's
that they could be taken off the endangered plant list. I
was thinking of making them a "Blue Light Special." U.S.
readers will know what this refers to! However, my plants
had an "Alabama" genetic signature (Alabama S. oreophila's
were exchanged in the 60's and 70's by Randy Troup).
Georgia State wanted me to only have "Georgia" based
stock on my property, so... hasta la vista-little Alabama oreo's

Project completion? Around Star Date 2018. Just kidding.
This will depend on which color form the S. x "Joe Mazrimas"
is and how quickly I (or others) build up stock to start over.
Remember, we started the whole thing nearly 30 years ago.
This project would be funnier if we collectively all work together
by exchanging pollen and so forth. That would greatly speed
up the final results and may shave a decade or two off of the
project. Any takers?

BCNU All-Bob Hanrahan-Powder Springs, GA