Tap water consequences

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 14:18:31 PDT

Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 22:18:31 +0100
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tap water consequences

Hello, list!

I've been growing CPs for some months and I've been being told everywhere
not to water CPs with tap water. I follow this advice, of course, but I
really don't know what are the consequences of using tap water. Right now
I'm using tap water for my Sarracenias and Droseras and they are growing
normally.
In the past, I have grown one S. purpurea which I watered with tap water
all its life, and it thrived and flowered! It was an healthy plant
(although it died after flowering).
So, after all, I don't know why should I use pure water... What are the
consequences of the tap water? What is the CP that most desperately needs
pure water? And what is the most tolerant?
I forgot to say: I use tap water, but I let the water rest for 2 days
before I use it. I don't know if this has some influence. I think it's
because of the chlorine.

Thanks,
Miguel