Re: Nepenthes care

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 07:12:02 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:12:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes care

Beth Ashton wrote:

> 1. Do you need to add water to Nepenthes pitchers?

It's not absolutely necessary to do so, though there are some
potential benefits. If a pitcher loses its fluid contents (if it
tips over, for example) then it tends to dry up. So keeping the
pitcher half filled with water will help it last longer.

Some growers fill the pitchers with very dilute fertilizer (Miracid)
every few weeks or so. Johannes Marabini wrote about this, and I've
started to do it. The plants seem to benefit. Johannes also mentioned
that the potting media can be allowed to dry out substantially between
waterings as long as the pitchers are filled with water.

> 2. Since Nepenthes need humidity and they are too large to put under a
> humidity dome, can they simply be spritzed with deionized water to simulate
> humidity? Or is it better to place the plant in a room with a humidifier?

I haven't found occasional "spritzing" to be a good substitute for constant
high relative humidity, for my Nepenthes. At Atlanta Botanical Garden, they
have beautiful plants that enjoy constant high humidity AND periodic
misting (about every ten minutes).

You're probably better off keeping the plant in a large container with
water in the bottom (not puddled around the pot) or a small
room that includes a humidifier.

> 3. I live in Hudson Valley area of New York state, would a western facing
> window be too much light for a Nepenthes?

I don't think you'll have a problem with too much light, as long as the
temperature around the plant isn't too high. High light and high
temperatures together tend to burn most Nepenthes. Mine do very well in
high light and cooler temperatures. In the summer when things get hot,
I keep the air circulating with a fan and also keep the humidity high so
things don't dry out.

> 4. Any info-packed Nepenthes references out there?

One nice discussion may be found on the web page of Borneo Exotics:
www.borneoexotics.com.

Regards,

Perry Malouf