Tap-water C.P.'s

From: VERDYCK Marc (VERDYCK.Marc@village.uunet.be)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 13:16:24 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:16:24 +0200
From: "VERDYCK Marc" <VERDYCK.Marc@village.uunet.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tap-water C.P.'s

Hello Miguel,

It's me Marc. I read your message that you're watering your plants with
tap-water. Rule number one in keeping C.P.'s "Never" use tap-water! Why?
It's the calcium that's a slow killer of C.P.'s. For about 90 percent of all
C.P.' don't like calcium. Also the chlorine isn't so healthy for the
plants.Your sarracenia and drosera did survive because you didn't use the
tap-water for a longer period! But believe me, everybody knows that calcium
is a C.P.-killer. Plants can resist it for a while but they will surely die
after a longer period. Your plants also survived because you let the
tap-water rest for two days so most of the calcium could sink to the bottom.
It's also possible that your tap-water is not so rich filled with calcium.
That would mean you're very lucky! Please when I send you the plants you
ordered don't give them tap-water. When you have further questions you can
always contact me. There are more rules than one to keep C.P.'s healthy.

Regards,
Marc