How Cold for Highland Neps?

From: Jim Roth (jim_roth@smtp.grafica.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 08:07:27 PDT

Date: 10 Sep 1998 11:07:27 -0400
From: "Jim Roth" <jim_roth@smtp.grafica.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: How Cold for Highland Neps?

I've been growing an N. Sanguinea, from Glasshouse Works, in a hanging basket
on my New Jersey deck all summer. (Since early June) It's been in a
self-watering hanging basket.Planted in a sphagnum-peat-orchid bark-charcoal
mix. The plant looks good, plenty of pitchers, but it's small! The pitchers
are 1/2"- 1 1/2". It's now starting to get an attractive red color in the
pitchers. Gets medium sun filtered through the trees.
1) Do they always grow this slowly? My N. Gracilis in a terrarium indoors has
gotten much bigger! (I started them both at the same time.)
2) How low a temperature can it take? We're starting to get into the 50s at
night here.
Thanks,
Jim Roth