D. burmannii

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Sat Sep 12 1998 - 06:52:57 PDT

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:52:57 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. burmannii

Scott Mcphee wrote:

I just acquired a pot of Drosera burmanni yesterday. I understand that it is
an annual, and that to keep it up in your collection you have to keep
growing it from seed. The person I bought it from said that it takes 6
months for the seeds to germinate. Is this true? How do you treat the
seeds - do you just sow them in the pot?

In Peter's book he says that they "die off when the soil dries out" and it
is "easy to grow during any stretch of warm weather." Will it live longer if
it is kept wet and warm?

Scott,

Welcome to an easy species! Assuming the seed is fresh D. burmannii will
germinate within two weeks in warm humid conditions in peat-sand, chopped
sphagnum, etc... I have volunteers popping up in many of my other CP pots
all the time. My original plants of this species germinated last November
and are still growing after producing copious seed. I guess they are living
on borrowed time right now. I grow them outdoors in an open fish tank in
full sun. The pots are put in the bottom of the tank and 1 to 2 cm of
rainwater accumulates, keeping things humid. When you plants do produce
flower stalks wait until the top scapes have dried before collecting. They
self pollinate so any human intervention is unnecessary.

Like I have stated, my first try with this species started last year with
one pack of seeds. Now they are slowly taking over!

Good growing,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com