unusual visitor

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 13 1998 - 04:54:02 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 06:54:02 -0500
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: unusual visitor

Yesterday, I had an unusual visitor to the plants growing on my balcony:
a female ruby-throated hummingbird. She poked her beak several times
into a freshly opened Sarracenia leucophylla, checked out a blooming
Pachypodium brevicaule, and then zoomed away. I assume she was after the
nectar at the mouth of the S. leucophylla pitcher. Luckily, she showed
no inclination to get stuck in the pitcher, for which I am very
thankful. I'd be guilt-stricken if I found a hummer trapped in one of
my plants.

cheers,
       Nick

Nicholas Plummer