Re: GA3

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 15:04:40 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:04:40 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: GA3

In message <yam7562.1053.131198024@smtp.antw.online.be>, Ide Laurent
<ide@arcadis.be> writes
>Dear all,
>
>I'd like advices about using GA3 on tuberous droseras, plus a good method to
>sow them. Thanks in advance.

In theory GA3 should wake up tuberous Droseras. I've never tried it
though. If you do try it I would suggest you be careful since I doubt if
any tuber will thank you much for allowing it to sit in solution for 24
hours or so. Make sure the tuber is fully dry at least before planting
to avoid rot.

I sow mine using a soil of approximately 60% peat and 40% sand. I have
found this the best mixture over the years, mainly as the extra peat in
the soil aids in keeping the soil in the centre of the pot (where
naturally the dormant tuber is sitting) very slighly moist. The peat
holds just enough water to guard against dessication which can take
place over the summer, especially if your summer is very hot. Use as
large a pot as possible for the same reason - larger volumes of soil dry
out slower and never get completely bone dry in the centre. I use 5 inch
pots or extra deep 4 1/2 inch pots. Seedlings are started off in smaller
pots but get transferred after a few years.

>After my request for particular species of droseras to add to my
>collection, I get several offers, so I'm still searching for D.
>falconeri, glabripes, hilaris, lanata, schizandra. Any help (e-mail me
>privately) will be apprecied.

Love to help you but I haven't grown the above for many years, except D.
glabripes which I have just germinated from seed.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson