Re: Sarracenia growth in the UK

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 15:10:40 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:10:40 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia growth in the UK

In message <d217737c.35fec318@aol.com>, JWi5770869@aol.com writes
>Dear all,
>Had my normal,evening look around the greenhouse, when I got in from work and
>one thing struck me as odd.
>Does anyone else in the UK/ Europe still have Sarracenias putting out new
>growth?
>I know that certain species have a second flush of growth, but this is half
>way thru September!
>
>Is this normal?

John,

Its very normal for S. alata, S. leucophylla and S. rubra ssps. In fact
these species produce their largest and most spectacular pitchers now.

Other species are not normally known for late summer/autumn pitchering.
S. flava hardly ever does - excpet that I have noticed S. flava sending
up new pitchers this year. Strange! It must be something to do with the
odd weather we've had this year.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson