RE: VFT and seed pods

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 09:23:36 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:23:36 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFT and seed pods

> The VFT's that my wife's cat munched on and I
> thought were dead have come back with a vegence.
> Plus there seems to be a seed pod growing from both
> plants. It is growing straight up and has a crinkly
> ball (looks like a wad of paper) on the end, the
> same color of red as the stalk.
>
> Now the question - is this a possible seed pod? If
> so, what do I do with it?

You're exactly right - this is a possible seed pod in the form of a
flower. Once the flower blooms it will turn into a seed pod if it gets
fertilized. However, you may wish to snip these flower spikes off. Why?
Well, what I'm about to say assumes that you live in a climate where
summer is beginning to turn into fall. If you don't, then please
disregard this!

Winter is the dormant season for VFTs (and most other CPs). They survive
and grow again in spring by using energy they store in their rhizome
during the growing season. Flowering can sap a good deal of energy from
a VFT, and if it flowers right before it goes into dormancy, it may have
a tough time surviving the winter. Yours is especially at risk
considering its recent brush with feline death. Normally VFTs,
Sarracenia, and their temperate CP kin flower in the spring when a long
growing season stretches out ahead of them. Sometimes they get confused
about the season though, and they flower in the fall. (I think VFTs and
Sarracenia are especially prone to this.) In short, if I were you I'd
clip the flower spike just to be on the safe side. I know that is a
disappointing prospect, but the flowers are unspectacular and you'll get
another chance to see them bloom, maybe as early as next spring.

If you really can't wait to see the flowers, there are some pictures in
the amazing CP database. Here's a link to one of them.
http://www.hpl.hp.com/botany/public_html/cp/pictures/dionaea/vft1.htm

Coincidentally, shortly after I snapped this picture, my cat began
chewing on the flower. Maybe they tase like mice?

Hope this helps
Philip
URL du Jour: http://www.wenet.net/~scoville/svtmain.html