RE: CP SEED

From: Nigel Hurneyman (nhurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 03:43:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:43:31 +0100
From: "Nigel Hurneyman" <nhurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: CP SEED

>I bought one of those cheap $3 plastic seed greenhouses. Inside, I use
>100% peat to grow various Nep seed. Is this ok? I heard you need to mix
>the peat with perlits or vermiculite/sand. Will seed still germinate in
>all sphagnum peat?
In my experience, Neps are quite happy growing in pure peat per se. The
biggest problem is the human being looking after them, because it is difficult
to keep the peat continually just moist without getting waterlogged or drying
out. Mixing in perlite and/or vermiculite and/or sand improves the drainage
so that overwatering becomes less of a problem.

Good Growing, NigelH

(In a job until at least Monday)