Re:Newbie Question #1

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 18:46:33 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:46:33 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Newbie Question #1

hey Steve,

Good set of questions! I'll leave the Sarr. flowers to someone else. They
are fascinating structures. The seedlings will grow fast, but will go
dormant in winter. Nepenthes are steady growers, if proper conditions are
provided.

>1. A large number of N. ventricosa seeds have germinated (on 100% peat).
>They are obviously slow growers, but how long before they need to be
>transplanted? The seedlings are about 6 weeks old, and have not formed roots
>yet - they can be lifted off the peat easily with a pin. How long does it
>take them to form roots, and what should I be growing them in before they
>are large enough to be transplanted into their "final" mix of bark and
>peat?
Here's where I can help: Leave them alone! Do not remove the ventricosa
babies until they show a slow down, and by that time they will have rosettes
at least 10 to 15 cm across. The "runts" of the grex will grow much slower,
and there will be about half a dozen that will grow faster, larger and
stronger than the rest. The worse thing you can do is prematurely disturb
your Nepenthes seedlings. Sone Nepenthes, such as N. khasiana, must be grown
to a large size before removing from the flats. Since you germinated on 100%
peat, be careful not to waterlog the flats. Sodden peat will break down,
forcing you to transplant your babies before they are strong enough to take
the shock.

Good growing,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida